I'm one song away from completing this year's Fall Mix CD. I'm putting a draft of it up here, and I'll add my "liner notes" later on. You'll notice a severe lack of female representation on this one. Originally, I had some tracks from Joni Mitchell, Loretta Lynn, and the Indigo Girls on here. Unfortunately, they got crossed off (and so did a large number of perfectly qualified men.)
Right now I should be writing my Odyssey paper. I'll do it after this, I swear.
The final track is a song called "Saffron" by a local band (made up of some mates of mine) named Return of Simple. They play piano-driven pop/rock with really smart, introspective lyrics. I don't yet have their new album, but I'm seeing them play at Wilbert's downtown, so I'll pick up a copy there.
Here's the list:
1. Beck--Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes (from the Eternal Sunshine soundtrack. This movie, and this song always remind me of the fall.)
2. Cat Stevens--The Wind.
3. The Raconteurs--Steady as She Goes (acoustic version.) I know it's a pretty well-known pop song, but it felt good here and I like the unplugged version very much.
4. The Shins--Gone for Good. Again, another fairly well-known tune, but I dig it. It's a song about a transitional time and there's really nothing quite as transitional as the fall.
5. Simon & Garfunkel--Old Friends. I wanted an S&G song and it took me forever to decide which one was the most appropriate. Again here, I've included a song that lyrically speaks to the theme of change.
6. Sufjan Stevens--Romulus.
7. Iain Archer--Canal Song (End of Sentence).
8. The Decemberists--My Mother Was a Chinese Trapeze Artist. I may still strike this.
9. The Walkmen--Another One Goes By.
10. Billy Bragg & Wilco--Remember the Mountain Bed.
11. The Long Winters--Ultimatum.
12. Bob Dylan--I Want You.
13. Elliot Smith--Needle in the Hay.
14. Jolie Holland--Ghost Waltz. The only girl!
15. Ryan Adams--My Winding Wheel.
16. Iron & Wine--Naked as We Came.
17. Wilco--Say You Miss Me.
I think I just realized that Wilco is my favorite band. I was never able to answer that question before. My favorite solo artist has been Ellis Paul for the past five years or so. But I've always answered "early Police" when people asked me my favorite band.
My favorite band is Wilco. Just FYI.
Bobble Head Nite this Weekend! BC Times Coverage
7 years ago